The IAGD Inclusive Geoscience Education and Research (IGER) Awards recognize outstanding efforts in promoting, developing, and/or implementing inclusive instruction & research. IGER award recipients encourage active engagement and participation of students and practitioners with disabilities in the geosciences. This award supports the vision of the IAGD to fundamentally shift the culture of the geosciences by creating a climate of access and inclusion, and fostering interest and engagement in geoscience academic and career pathways for people with disabilities.
These awards are open to Earth science students, faculty and staff at all levels of academia (K-12 through university), as well as geoscience professionals, with or without disabilities, who exemplify what it means to live and work inclusively. Note: students are evaluated separately from professionals.
The IAGD will recognize one or two IGER Award winners for Teaching / Outreach and/or Research each year selected from the entire pool of nominees.
Nomination and Selection Process
- The annual deadline for these awards is August 20.
- Self-nominations are no longer accepted.
- Nominations will be evaluated based on the current position of the nominee and considered in three categories:
- K-12 teachers, university faculty, teaching assistants
- Staff and geoscience professionals outside of school teaching roles
- Nominations can be made completing the IAGD IGER Award Nomination Form, and attaching the following documents in an email addressed to the IAGD Nominations Committee to email@example.com
- A brief statement (500 words maximum) about how the nominee has promoted access and inclusion for students with disabilities in the geosciences.
- A letter of recommendation from a student, fellow faculty member, or a colleague who can attest to the positive impact of the nominee’s actions.
- A current curriculum vitae (CV) for the nominee.
IGER Award winners receive a plaque and a small honorarium.
The IAGD is looking for award sponsors! If you are interested in sponsoring the IGER Award, or for more information about the nomination process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2021 IGER Award Winner Annie Klyce
Read the 2021 award announcement here.
2020 Awardee: Dr. Michele Cooke
Read the IGER award announcement for Dr. Cooke.
— Michele Cooke (@geomechCooke) November 1, 2020